If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
One of the best ways to win at home is having a healthy marriage. A healthy marriage is good for each spouse, but more importantly, it is good for each child.
Children are walking video recorders. More is caught than taught. I believe most of the issues young people have in life can be traced back to their parents’ examples.
I worked with young people for more than 30 years, and I have seen this in many of my students. Parents do not realize the impact unhealthy relationships have on their children.
Three ways to have a healthy marriage:
Watch your mouth.
- You never get a good result from bad words.
- Your marriage will never rise above your mouth.
- Good relationships have good communication.
- There is no such thing as inconsequential speech.
- Words do not evaporate. They accumulate.
- Good words have power. Bad words have power.
- Our tongue has a disproportionate influence over our whole life.
Be angry, but be nice.
- Do not deny your anger.
- Do not justify mean actions with anger.
- Do not go to bed angry.
- Depression is anger turned inward.
- Confront in love.
- Complain and do not criticize.
- Listen to your spouse and believe them.
- Forgive and let it go.
- The first three minutes of a conversation are most important.
Serve one another.
- Men want respect.
- Women want security.
- Do not keep score.
- Touch each other often in a nonsexual way.
- Talk. Listen.
Three ways to win at home:
- Serve your spouse.
- Use uplifting language when talking to your spouse.
- Work on your marriage.
“Win at Home” is a series of opinion columns written by author and keynote speaker Willie Spears. Be sure to catch the “Win at Home Podcast” in January 2022 and learn more at www.williespears.com.